VIDEO: 'Flash mob' robbery at DC convenience store
WASHINGTON - "It was crazy. Beyond our control," says the manager of the King Convenience store in the 1500 block of U Street in Southeast D.C.
He says a flash mob of teens stole candy, soda and other items from his store Saturday night.
"Bunch of kids, more than 20 or 30, grabbed everything," he says, asking not to be identified. "They grabbed everything and then ran away from the store."
There's video, too:
DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG
Now, you know what one of the first things I noticed was? The sign that said the store accepted EBT cards.The new owners have undone some security measures - like keeping everything behind glass - in an attempt to be more friendly to the neighborhood.
Yeah, look where that got you.
I honesty don't know what to say about this incident. One of the store's employees followed the kids outside and got beaten for his troubles - so don't throw the BS about how this was "harmless". I mean, to say nothing of the fact of the items they stole from this business or the peace of mind the store owner has lost. That's a damn slap in the face - he buys the store, makes changes so that it's more community oriented, and then these punks come in one night and trash the place, steal things, and assault the employees.
This isn't the first of these mobs, either - we've seen this before in Maryland, Chicago, California, Portland, and other places. The last one is the most surprising, because it's the only location out of the four here where citizens are broadly permitted to carry firearms - you don't see "flash mobs" in Arizona or New Hampshire, because there's a very good chance someone else in the store is armed. The mobs are counting on surprise and a lack of resistance, and 99% of the time that's exactly what happens. In the other 1%, like in this story out of DC, they perform violence on the person who resists.
Gun show loophole! High capacity assault bullet magazines! Shoulder things that go up! We get so wrapped up in *things* being the problem, when it's the people. There's a cultural mindset that says it's okay to go into a store and rob them blind - that's just plain wrong. It has nothing to do with race; it has everything to do with culture and mentality - that's what we should be working on.
But that's hard, so ZOMG EVIL ASSAULT BULLET HOSES!
That is all.