Friday, August 3, 2012

Fall, Meet Guy...

Another dispatch from the BLNN:

ATF figure in Fast and Furious leaves agency

WASHINGTON – The former deputy director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has left the agency following the uproar over a flawed gun-smuggling probe called Operation Fast and Furious.

William Hoover was the agency's No. 2 official from 2009 to 2011. He was reassigned last October during an ATF staff shake-up prompted by questions about Fast and Furious.

Now, I don't for a second think that he was the only player in this mess. Something as thoroughly messed up and rotten like Fast & Furious could only come from the Ivory Tower upper echelons of this administration, being that it's about as tone-deaf as possible while still being condescending and plain evil. Whether Hoover is the only person with Greyhound-sized tire tracks on his back, though, is anyone's guess.

What I find interesting is that the story very carefully avoids phrases like "quit", "resigned", "ordered to clear out his desk", or any other indication that he was fired. It's possible he's just stepping down, which would allow him to keep his lucrative pension despite only paying in for a few short years. Because, like the song says, there's no slacking like government slacking...

Or it could just be that Hoover was the only guy who didn't know where the proverbial bodies were buried...

That is all.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Bubblehead Les. said...

My take is that Hoover knew a lot, and was re-assigned to keep an eye on him during the Congressional Hearings. But something told him that he may not have DOJ covering his butt for much longer. Don't be surprised if he's squealing to Issa's F+F Staffers during the Congressional Recess to get a better deal. After all, if you thought the Political News was Bad so far, wait until after Labor Day.

Or he feels Safe, and is just slinking away back into the Shadows.

Time will tell.