Police: Fireworks blast injures 11 in Pelham
PELHAM, N.H.—Two children were severely injured in a fireworks explosion and fire that began on the rear deck of a Pelham home where fireworks were being set off, police said Wednesday.
In all, 11 people, including five children, were injured in the explosion reported at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Family members say an 8-month-old girl was injured, and a 2-year-old boy is in a medically induced coma.Look, it's always a tragedy when young kids get hurt because adults are behaving badly. No one argues that. It's that the reaction is so incredibly predictable:
Pelham Fire Chief Jim Midgley said the state Legislature should take a hard look at controlling the personal use of fireworks and preached caution.Yes. Because making sparklers illegal is going to stop stupid people from doing stupid things. The sound you hear is my eyes rolling so hard I nearly detached my retinas. Now, I can be somewhat sympathetic to Chief Midgley - he's more than likely frustrated after viewing a horrific scene that was depressingly preventable. Five minutes (or less) of set-up, where the fireworks are kept a good distance from the children, and the chance of something like this happening drops to near zero.
But because someone thought it was a good idea to be setting off fireworks with an 8-month old baby present (hello? The noise *alone* was damaging enough), the rest of the state of New Hampshire should suffer? People do stupid things all the time - the mere existence of YouTube should be ample evidence of that - with a wide variety of commonplace items. If we banned everything that folks could potentially misuse to injure themselves, we'd be relegated to padded rooms with Nerf™ furniture...
No matter how hard we try, we can't protect stupid people from themselves...
That is all.